Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Re-Post: On the Road at IMA

This post was originally put on the now defunct "What Was I Thinking?" blog on July 9, 2008. Reposted here for your enjoyment.

So, there's this awesome exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA, to the in-crowd) that I wanted to share with you all. I read an article in NUVO (see the article here) about how the original Teletype scroll that Jack Kerouac used to type his single-spaced manuscript sans punctuation of On the Road had been purchased by Jim Irsay (former narco-addict owner of the Indianapolis Colts) and was making the rounds of museums. The scroll is now on display at IMA, being showcased as a form of art.

The exhibit sounds interesting, and I'm planning to catch it next Thursday with a screening of the documentary, On the Road Now: Artists and Writers Respond to Kerouac in the 21st Century. Although I do love to visit the free IMA (I caught their Christian Dior exhibit this past spring), this isn't the sort of thing I do that often. However, seeing as how I'm always complaining about the fact that Indianapolis is the armpit of the U.S. without a good cultural scene, I have to be more proactive about making the most of the offerings that are provided.

I encourage you to check out the article because there are some cool photos of the work that went on at the IMA to install the exhibit. Anybody else have suggestions for other interesting cultural attractions in the Indianapolis area?

No comments: